Monday, November 10, 2008

When the troubles began...

We don't know when it started or what brought them here. We certainly didn't bring them with us. We saw the first one in August 2008, crawling on my husband's shorts. We walked to the bathroom to flush it, and as we did, I saw something drop from the ceiling and land on his head. Another identical bug, which we also flushed. I had a weird feeling about it because I've seen many bugs but never ones like these, so I went to the computer and googled it. They looked disturbingly and shockingly like bed bugs. We couldn't believe it was actually bed bugs...I think the truth was too awful to accept at that point, so we rationalized that they must have been ticks or beetles. But we called pest control anyway, which thankfully our apartment takes care of for us. They came out and sprayed. We emptied all the dressers in the bedroom and they sprayed down all the furniture. We bagged some clothes, washed and dried most of them but not all. When they were done we put everything back together. We checked our glue traps under the bed and vacumed around 1-2 times per week. Didn't see any bugs for another three months. Fast forward to last week. I woke up one morning with a tiny speck of blood on my pillow. I got a sick feeling. I just knew. I looked at my arm which I had slept with thrown over my pillow. A red welt similar to a mosquito bite. I checked under the bed at the glue traps, and there was the horrifing truth. Bed bugs. several of them, on each glue trap. Panic set in and I wanted to faint, scream, or throw up but just couldn't. I just called in my husband to show him the evidence, and we called pest control. They would come in four days, on thursday. In the meantime, we went out to bed bath and beyond and bought bed covers for the mattress, box spring, and each pillow. Dried all the bedding on high heat. Took the bed apart and vacumed the frame piece by pice. Hoped for the best and looked forward to thursday.

No comments: